Thursday, July 31, 2008

God Knows What We Need

Over the past few weeks I've been working my way through a, biography of D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, two-volume set by author Iain H. Murray. It has been fantastic! Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981), was pastor of Westminster Chapel in London, England, and is believed to be, according to many, one of the greatest preachers of the 20th - century.

One particular excerpt from Murray's 2nd-volume is a portion of a letter Lloyd-Jones received from a gentleman who was a guest during a Sunday worship service. The letter was written in 1945:

"If I had spent hours in trying to tell you of my own particular problems and needs at the present moment and had you designed the whole of this morning's service for my special benefit, not a verse or petition or a word would have needed to be altered. Perhaps the very reason for the difficulties that have kept me in London this week was to enable me to be present in service this morning."

As I read this I couldn't help but smile. So often I have had dear people come to me after a service and ask, "How did you know?" Or, "Did someone tell you what I've been going through?". My answer of course is "I didn't know", and "No" - But God knows. It reminds me that there is so much more going on in a worship service than we can actually see. The Wonderful Councelor is present, He's speaking. Oh that we would hear Him and obey.

Pastor Van


No comments: