Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

During our last period of heavy rain I made a disappointing discovery.  While making my way across the parking lot at church I felt a damp sensation inside my shoe.  On inspection I found a hole about the size of a dime in the sole of my black dress shoes.

For some reason or another dress shoes don't seem to last me a long time.  It could be that I am somewhat of a fiscal conservative (another way of stating that is to say that I often by cheap shoes).  You see, I find dress shoes at less than $50 quite tempting.  Of course the down side is they seem to wear out entirely too soon.

As soon as I discovered the hole I thought: That's it!  I'm tired of these cheap shoes that don't even last me a year. 

A few days later I was standing in Dillards - in the men's shoe department.  I must say, Dillards has some of the finest looking men's shoes I have ever seen.  However, they cost a bit more than $50.  The pair that I spotted certainly did.  They were black slip-on's - brand name Brass Boot.  On the sole was a sale price of $99.99, certainly not the most expensive shoe but more than what I usually spend. 

I thought: It's time I get some good shoes; dependable shoes; shoes that will last me longer.  So I bought them.

When I got home, I took one last look at my old shoes.  I turned them over to inspect the hole one last time, and to my utter amazement I saw the words Brass Boot.  Yes!  The shoes I had been wearing ( and complaining about!) were the very brand of shoes that I was craving.

It was then that I remembered the words of Solomon:

All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.( Eccl 1:8,ESV)

I had been blessed to be wearing a quality pair of shoes - shoes that still developed a hole in them - and I had failed to appreciate it, nor be satisfied.

So here's what I'm going to do.  I'm going to take my old black shoes to the cobbler (shoe repair) and see about getting a new sole put on.  Then I will take the new shoes back and exchange them for a brown pair.  And then and only then will I be perfectly satisfied.

Yeah, right!

Pastor Van

No comments: