Monday, July 16, 2012

Digging For Treasure

 

One of my hobbies is treasure hunting. When I purchased my first metal detector, now over 20-years ago, the salesman, a treasure hunter himself with a huge display of goodies to validate his prowess, gave me two pieces of helpful advice.

First, he told me that once I found something buried in the ground, before filling in the hole, I should always scan the hole once again. He insisted that oftentimes where there was one coin, there would be others. He was right, and I have proved this time and time again.

Secondly, he told me never to believe that a place had been "hunted out," meaning that all the treasure had been taken. "For the patient hunter," he said, "there will likely be another treasure waiting." Once again he was right.

On one such occasion I was given permission to hunt the site of a home built in the late 1700s, a property that I was told had been hunted out. I started scanning early that morning, and hunted for six hours without finding a thing. Just when I was ready to give up, I started getting signals—one right after the other. I dug out so many coins they were literally running out of both of my pants pockets. One of the coins I found that day was an 1865 2-cent piece, worth about $70.

In the same way, new Christians desiring the milk of the Word can sweep over the Scriptures and find a host of marvelous treasures. But veteran students of the Bible can be sure that no matter how much we dig it will never be hunted out.

Keep on digging!

Pastor Van

 

No comments: