Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Questions We Should Ask

 

"One ought to take time to reflect seriously upon the question, 'Has God truly wrought a miracle in my life?  Is my own heart proof of the supernatural intervention of God?'  That is the apologist's first question.  In the West we go through these seasons of new-fangled theologies.  The whole question of 'lordship' plagued our debates for some time as we asked, is there such a thing as a minimalist view of conversion?  W said the prayer and that's it.  Yet how can there be a minimalist view of conversion when conversion itself is a maximal work of God's grace?"

"If you are proposing marriage to someone, what would the one receiving the proposal say if you said, 'I want you to know this proposal changes nothing about my allegiances and my behavior and my daily life; however, I do want you to know that should you accept my proposal, we shall theoretically married.  There will be no other changes in me on your behalf.'  In a strange way we have minimized every sacred commitment and made it the lowest common denominator. What does my new birth mean to me?  That is the question we seldom ask.  Who was I before God's work in me, and who am I now?"

Ravi Zacharias, Christian apologist

No comments: